Monday, August 10, 2015

Contactamos un colectivo

So, this week we got up the courage and did it!!!! My last companion said that while he was on his temporary mission in Mexico they would get up in front of the bus and talk to everyone. The companion that wasn't talking would pass out pamphlets. When I was in Clorinda a pastor would get up in front of the bus and talk to us but we had never tried it. Elder Smith and I decided we wanted to. We were super nervous but we had a zone meeting so we had our chance.

We got lucky, the bus wasn't too full, but there were some people at least. I asked the driver if i could talk to the people, he said, "go for it" almost rolling his eyes so I did it.  I introduced us and presented a little bit about the Book of Mormon and quoted a scripture I like. Elder Smith passed out pass along cards to everyone. We then went and sat by a couple that looked interested in what we were saying.

Their names are Ignacio and Antonia. They have a little baby too. We had a nice conversation. We gave them a Book of Mormon. They passed us their address and they actually seem rather interested.

It was pretty hard to get over the fear, but then in the end it was a lot easier than it looks and we ended up with a new family to teach. Kinda like a roller-coaster, you go up the hill build up suspense then you go down and it actually isn't too bad, but in this case the reward is a lot better.

We also have been teaching Alejandra who made it to church 2 weeks ago. She had the dream about her family being together again. We went by her house and her old boy friend was back. He is abusive. We talked to him a little bit and he works as a night club guard. He is a big guy and not interested in our message. We talked to Alejandra and she said that her relationship with him is based on fear. They get together and then separate a lot. She also wasn't able to get to church this week. Pray for her a lot. We want to help her out and are going to try to help her get the courage to talk to the police about what is happening.

We also did divisions with the other elders in our branch. They are a little less than excited and I got to go to their area for the day with Elder Lorenco. We doubled the number of charlas for the week and we were able to clean the apartment a little bit, We took out 6 Walmart bags of garbage (they are playing the game of whoever it bugs most cleans it). We were able to also find a man in the exact right moment. He injured his foot so he was home and had time for us to talk to him.

It's also been way hot here. I'm not too excited for summer again.

In the end it was a good week and we worked hard.

I have been trying a new tactic to study. I will look up a topic in the topical guide and read all the scriptures in the Book of Mormon on the topic and condense it down to just short thoughts. It gives a pretty good idea of how I can improve and what else I can do. It helps me really understand the idea I am studying. I'm not sure why I've never tried it before.

I know that God will give us the help we need when we need it. I recently was studying and felt the peace that we can feel when we are in the temple. It helped me to really focus on what is important and avoid sin. It is so true that wickedness never was happiness and that the devil tries to destroy our peace. We can all set goals to be able to have more of that peace in our lives.

Elder Dallin Skouson

No comments:

Post a Comment