September 1, 2014
This keyboard is for spanish so if I put weird symbols or don't spell things right I guess that's just how it is! Editor's note: I've added apostrophes to words that need them. It looks better that way. :)
So we left the MTC rode a bus to the train, rode the train to the trax in Salt Lake City, rode them to the airport and then took a plane to Atlanta where I got to call home which was nice. We had about 4.5 hours for a layover and then got on an international flight to Buenos Aires and that was overnight. We arrived and got in a bus to a hostel by the temple there where we ate then sat around for a little got in another bus to the airport where we sat for 5 hours and talked in spanish to some random people. The next flight to Resistencia was only about 2 hours. We arrived and went to a hotel ate dinner and slept. This is now Wednesday. We then went to the mission office in vans talked a little and met the mission president. After that we met our companions. We got what we needed and caught a taxi to the bus. This is the last time I hear english. Then we got to a small town called Campo Largo about 3 hours away from Resistencia. We arrived at 9. that was so much traveling!
My companion is from Peru and he only speaks spanish. He knows some small phrases in english and says good night to me each night but we speak in only spanish and he throws in some english occasionally. He is a good friend and knows what he's doing as a missionary too, which is really helpful. I am so grateful for that. He was a zone leader for more than 1 year before training me and he is now district leader as well. One of the sisters, Hermana Davis from my district in the MTC is in my district now. He is pretty short as well.
![]() |
| Elder Skouson and His new companion Elder Yaicate at the bus station |
So, here in Campo Largo the previous missionaries didn't leave us much to work with. We started meeting members and I am not good at names and when I can barely tell what parts are names it doesn't help. We also found a few people who aren't members. everyone is very friendly and kind. Most people are very willing to talk. We taught the restoration and first vision a couple times now and its amazing how every time we say the first vision in whatever language it brings the spirit. We also have a branch here that is pretty small. There are a bunch of members but only about 24 came and there were only 2 other men and we don't know how often they come also there were 2 priests and 2 young women. The rest is relief society. We had one of our investigators come to church as well. She is 60 or more years old and her mom is a member living on the other side of town. So cool. Her mom can't come to church because of her health. I think I am going to be a counselor in the branch presidency and my companion president but we don't know that (I could be president and he counselor but I hope not).
My spanish is coming along well. Speaking spanish from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep is helping for sure. Having to explain the things I want to helps too. I sometimes think in spanish now too. I can sometimes talk about food or the gospel or other things. One time I tried to ask if an investigator had had time to pray about our message. I accidentally said, "you have an opportunity to pray about"? she looked so confused and I didn't know what I said so my companion helped out.
So. the only thing I can think to share with you is that we tell all of our investigators a few things. Remember John 3:15 to 16 I think. God loves us. He gave His son as a sacrifice for us. This is amazing. Also, we tell our investigators what James 1:5 says that if you don't know ask God. He will give to all men. If at any time you don't know what to do ask God in faith that you will receive, be prepared and act and you will receive. I know I have experienced the truth of this at times.
Love,
Elder Dallin Skouson
We received an email from Elder Yaicate, too and a picture. He's awesome.
Hola famila Skouson,
hola mi nombre es elder yaicate, soy el nuevo papi para su adorado hijo, estoy muy orgulloso de ustedes porque han preparado a un gran misionero, como elder skouson, él es un capo!!!!! ojala puedan entender mi español......en la primera carta de elder skouson yo hice el dibujo, pero ara les dejo una foto real....disfruten de su semana, y quedense tranquilos, porque elder skouson ahora tiene "gran padre" en la mision......
We received an email from Elder Yaicate, too and a picture. He's awesome.
Hola famila Skouson,
hola mi nombre es elder yaicate, soy el nuevo papi para su adorado hijo, estoy muy orgulloso de ustedes porque han preparado a un gran misionero, como elder skouson, él es un capo!!!!! ojala puedan entender mi español......en la primera carta de elder skouson yo hice el dibujo, pero ara les dejo una foto real....disfruten de su semana, y quedense tranquilos, porque elder skouson ahora tiene "gran padre" en la mision......
con cariño
Elder Yaicate

No comments:
Post a Comment